We get lots of calls to the Customer Experience team from people wanting to hold off from Booking their Hot Air Ballooning voucher until the weather is warmer…
You may be surprised to learn however, that the warmer months aren’t actually the best times to fly in South Australia! Here’s why:
- Firstly, when it’s warmer you get what are called ‘thermals’, this is when the colder air mixes with the warmer air and these can make flying very difficult as they cause uncontrollable lift.
- You also have problems surrounding total fire bans in summer… If you get those big gas burners anywhere near dry grass it can be a deadly mix.
- As you know, hot air rises, and the burners on the envelope are designed to push the balloon upwards. If the air outside the balloons is higher than what is inside, the balloon will be pushed to beyond its limits and the balloon will be warn out very fast.
- Any temperature above 15 degrees actually limits the lifting ability of the balloon.
- Our experience providers do fly in the warmer months, but you must be prepared to have your booking rescheduled, so we ask you to be flexible.
So ideal temperatures for Hot Air Ballooning would be when there is very little wind and cold air. A fine frosty morning with a 5 knot wind or less at launch time is excellent weather to fly, so Autumn and early winter is the best time to go ballooning!!
So what are you waiting for?
If you have any questions, feel free to give our Customer Experience team a call: 1300 8755 00.
Also check out Hot Air Ballooning in: